In the last three weeks, the Freestyle branch had only a few commits. This slowdown of the development was partly due to a lack of spare time, because I (T.K.) was in Italy for two weeks to do a couple of jobs. The trip to Italy was full of troubles from the beginning because of the still ongoing issue regarding the Icelandic volucanic ash clouds. All flights reserved for the trip were canceled. Major European railways were packed according to news reports, while a colleague of mine and I had a strict time constraint for one of the planned jobs. Eventually we decided to go by car together from Portugal to Italy. My colleague and I alternatively drove the car. This was the first time I went more than 2100 km by car in two days. As a matter of fact, I was a very new driver who got a driver’s license in last January. This would explain my impression that the car travel was kind of thrilling. In the end, we arrived at the destination without any major issues, and the jobs were completed in time regardless of the European airspace confusion.
Another reason of the few commits in the branch was a critical bug in the trunk. As you know, changes in the trunk are merged into the branch once in a while. After I came back to home, a number of changes in the trunk were merged as usual. The bug was among the merged changes and prevented me from working on the branch. The problem was that Blender got freezed soon after the start-up. To my knowledge there was no problem report on the bug, suggesting that the issue was very environment-specific (I was using 64-bit Windows at that time). It took a while to look into the issue myself. It turned out to be a typical deadlock problem in multithread programming. I made a problem report with a possible fix, which was kindly incorporated into the trunk by Brecht.
The commits in the Freestyle branch after the bug fix were intended to be the first step toward the completion of Freestyle Python API improvements. More commits in this direction are anticipated in the following weeks.